The Notre-Dame-de-Liesse Church, or Église Notre-Dame-de-Liesse, is one of the numerous lovely churches in Annecy's attractive old town. Come to this Catholic church for a Mass, to admire its remarkable architecture, or simply to enjoy some quiet time in its bright interior.
Records reveal that the site of this church was religiously significant as early as the 11th century. In the 14th century, a church was built here, and it formerly contained one of the world's most famous relics of Christ, the Shroud, today known as the Shroud of Turin. Much of the current edifice was built in the mid-nineteenth century.
The oldest element of the edifice is the antique bell tower. This alone dates back to the 14th century. Step inside to see the church's beautiful interior. Take a seat in one of the pews and relax before visiting the many intriguing areas of the cathedral.
The magnificent main altar was built in 1855. The design was created by the Duvernay brothers, two renowned masons from the Giffre valley. Gilardi, an admired Italian sculptor, created the exquisite statues that adorn it. Take note of the wonderful workmanship on the Madonna and Child statue in the center of the altar. Other statues show Mary's parents, St. Joachim and St. Anne.
Look for the lovely artwork of the Virgin Mary holding a rosary. It is a reproduction of a painting by Giovanni Battista Salvi. The Notre-Dame-de-Liesse Church is located in the center of Annecy. It is free to visit any day of the week, but keep in mind that it is an active house of prayer, therefore Mass is held here regularly.
Passage Notre Dame, 74000, Annecy, France