The Mleiha Archaeological Centre is located in the Sharjah emirate of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). It is an interactive museum and visitor center showcasing the region's rich history and cultural heritage. The center features exhibits on the pre-Islamic history of the area, including artifacts from the Bronze and Iron Ages and the Islamic and Islamic Golden Ages. Visitors can also explore the Mleiha Fort, a restored fortification from the Islamic period, and take guided tours of the surrounding desert landscape, which includes ancient tombs and petroglyphs. The center also offers a variety of educational programs and activities for visitors of all ages.
● Explore the museum exhibits:
Some of the key exhibits include:
● Pre-Islamic artifacts: The center has a collection of artifacts from the Bronze and Iron Ages, including pottery, tools, and jewelry. These artifacts provide insight into the people who lived in the region during these periods.
● Islamic artifacts: The center also has a collection of artifacts from the Islamic and Islamic Golden Ages, including ceramics, glassware, and textiles. These artifacts provide insight into the people's culture and way of life during this time period.
● Mleiha Fort: The center features a restored fortification from the Islamic period, which provides a glimpse into the past and the people's way of life there.
● Petroglyphs: The center features a collection of petroglyphs, which are ancient rock carvings that provide insight into the beliefs and rituals of the people who lived in the region.
● Tombs: The center offers guided tours of ancient tombs in the surrounding desert landscape, which provides insight into the funerary practices of the people who lived in the region.
● Local flora and fauna: The center has a dedicated section that teaches visitors about the local flora and fauna, including the different types of plants and animals found in the area.
● Attend educational programs:
Workshops: The center offers a range of workshops that allow visitors to learn about different aspects of the region's history and culture. These workshops cover traditional Bedouin life, archaeology, and local flora and fauna.
Lectures: The center regularly hosts lectures by experts in archaeology and history, which provide visitors with a deeper understanding of the region's past.
Hands-on activities: The center offers a range of hands-on activities, such as pottery and basket-weaving, that allow visitors to experience traditional Bedouin crafts and techniques.
School programs: The center also offers special programs for schools and educational groups, which include guided tours, workshops, and lectures.
● With the sky painted with different colors, it is a perfect time to take some beautiful photographs at sunset:
Watching the sunset at the Mleiha Archaeological Centre is a truly magical experience. The center offers special sunset tours, where visitors can explore the area after dark and experience the beauty of the desert at night. The desert landscape transforms into a different world during
sunset, the colors of the sky change from bright blue to orange, pink and purple, and the shadows of the ancient tombs and petroglyphs become more pronounced. The tranquility and serenity of the desert at sunset are truly breathtaking. You can also take a tour to witness
the sunset from different viewpoints, and also learn about the history and cultural significance of the region as you watch the sun go down.
● Visit the gift shop:
Visitors can purchase items such as traditional Bedouin jewelry, pottery, and textiles, as well as books, maps, and other educational materials about the history and culture of the area. They also have a range of unique souvenirs, such as replicas of ancient artifacts, postcards, and keychains. The shop also has a collection of
locally made crafts, such as traditional woven baskets and other unique items that reflect the culture and heritage of the region.
Archeological Centre, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates