Castel Sant'Elmo is a medieval fortress located in the city of Naples, Italy. The castle is situated on a hilltop in the Vomero neighborhood, offering panoramic views of the city and the surrounding Bay of Naples. The castle was constructed in the 14th century and went through several renovations and expansions over the centuries.
The fortress originally served as a defensive structure, but it has also been used as a prison, a royal residence, and a military barracks. Since now it is open to the public, it is a popular tourist attraction in Naples. It is also houses several museums and art exhibitions, including the Museo Civico Filangieri, which showcases artifacts from the ancient Roman city of Pompeii, as well as the Museo Nazionale della Ceramica Duca di Martina, which displays an extensive collection of ceramics from around the world.
The fortress has been used as a filming location for many movies and has also been featured in some video games, such as Assassin's Creed II and Mafia II.
How to explore Castel Sant'Elmo?
- You can explore the different levels of the fortification of the castle, including the towers and the ramparts. You'll also be able to see the various exhibitions and art installations that are on display in the castle.
- The castle offers a panoramic terrace where you can see a beautiful view of the city and the bay of Naples. It is a perfect spot to take photos and admire the landscape.
- The castle has a long history and was built by Charles of Anjou. It has been used as a military barracks, a prison, and a regional government building throughout the centuries. Learn more about the history of the castle by visiting the museum inside the castle.
- Castel Sant'Elmo is also home to a number of art exhibitions that often change, showcasing contemporary and modern art collections.
- Several churches and chapels are located near the castle, including the Chapel of Santa Maria Delle Grazie and the Church of San Giorgio Maggiore. These historical religious sites are worth visiting if you're interested in architecture and art.
- The castle is situated in the heart of the Vomero neighborhood. Once you have finished visiting the castle, you can take a walk in the neighborhood and explore the charming streets, shops, and restaurants.