The Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vita is a church located in Bologna, Italy. It is known for its terracotta sculptural group, the 'Lamentation over the Dead Christ.' It is considered one of the important masterpieces of Italian Renaissance sculpture. The church also contains frescoes and other works of art from the 14th and 15th centuries.
How to explore Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vita?
- Take a guided tour of the church to learn about its history and architecture, as well as the various artworks it contains. Through the guided tour, you can also learn about the restoration work done over the years.
- Admire the terracotta sculptures by Niccolò dell'Arca and his workshop, which depict the Passion of Christ. These sculptures are considered some of the finest examples of medieval art in Bologna.
- View the frescoes by Vitale da Bologna, a 14th-century artist. These frescoes are considered an important example of medieval art in Bologna.
- See the 'Lamentation over the Dead Christ,' considered one of the Italian sculpture's masterpieces.
- The Chiesa di Santa Maria della Vita is still a working church, so you can attend mass if you are interested.
- The church is located in the city center of Bologna, and you can take a stroll around the neighborhood to explore the local shops, restaurants, and other sights.
- The church is also used as a venue for concerts, showcasing the beautiful acoustics of the church. Attend one of these concerts that depict beautiful stories of the past.