As Ankara's largest mosque, the Kocatepe Mosque makes quite an impression with its towering minarets and soaring domes. On a clear day, this mosque can be seen from almost anywhere in the city since it's a remarkable landmark.
It took around twenty years to build this outstanding spiritual institution. It was destroyed and rebuilt twice before its current neoclassical Ottoman style was settled. Located in the heart of Ankara, to the southeast of Kizilay Square, is the Kocatepe Mosque.
How to explore Kocatepe Mosque?
- The mosque's striking design comprises floors embellished with exquisite details but breaks with precedent. You will have to make up your own mind as to whether its polarizing appearance is too cutting-edge or a brilliant illustration of Modern Islamic architecture.
- Join the other 24,000 worshippers who can once fit into the massive mosque for praying. Attend a prayer to feel the divinity once you are inside the mosque.
- Take in the beauty of faux-Gothic spires and domes. The combined height of the four minarets is 289 feet (88 meters). Take in the arches, many stunning sets of steps, and the main entrance from the comfort of the balcony's elegant vantage point.
- Admire the ornate decor as you enter the spiritual building. Observe the intricate detail of the central dome, the marble detailing, and the tinted windows. Walk on the plush red carpet beneath your feet and admire the ornate ceiling and chandelier above.
- Outside, in the city center, it is hard to imagine the drastic contrast between this calm and the bustle of the streets. Reflect on the tranquility of the marble courtyard.
- View the mosque shining bright white in the Ankara night sky at night.
- Free tours of the mosque are available to anyone interested. A guided tour of the mosque can help you to learn more about its architecture and culture.
- There are plenty of restaurants, motels, and cafes in the vicinity, serving everything from fast cuisine to upscale fare. Gorge in one of these places to savor your taste buds.
- There is a parking area and shopping center adjacent to the mosque. Park you car in the alotted parking area and enjoy shopping in the mall.