Located just 8 kilometers from the heart of Trivandrum and only 10 kilometers from Trivandrum Central, this beach is a popular destination for residents of both cities. People jaywalking and young couples taking romantic strolls along the beach are regular sights. When you need some time to yourself to unwind and recharge, the beach is the place to go. another strategic advantage of this beach is the location of being close to the airport.
Things to do at Shanghumukham Beach
- Sculptured by world-renowned artist Kanai Kunjuraman, the Jalakanya Sculpture is the main draw of this beach. With a beautiful mermaid sculpture in white stone, the beach is a dream for everyone who enjoys watching the sun go down. The Matsya Kanya sculpture is 35 meters long and sits alluringly, giving it a massive appearance.
- The possibility of building sandcastles and splashing around in the sea is another reason why children love visiting the beach.
- Children can learn about safe driving at Jawaharlal Nehru Traffic Training Park.
- The famed starfish-shaped eatery serves delicious meals and refreshing drinks.
- During festivals such as Vinayaka Chathurthi and Bali Tharpanam, the seashore is transformed into a lively fair. Seeing all the worshippers gathered on the seashore for Ganesh Nimajjanam brings joy to your heart. At the time of Bali Tharpanam, thousands of worshippers visit this seashore. Idols of Lord Narasimha, Padmanabhaswamy, and Krishna are brought to this beach to be immersed in the water during special processions on Arattu Day. Seeing the King of Travancore at the head of the procession on this special day is a sight to behold. Guards and members of the royal family gather together to execute the ceremonies, bringing color and fervor to the beach.
- Those interested in teaching their kids skating or Badminton can do so at the skating school and sports complex.
- There is also a highly recommended Veli Tourist Village for you to visit. Experience the difference in culture there.