Commonly known as the Mission San Jose de Guadalupe, San Diego is home to a historic Spanish mission called Mission San Jose. Spanish Franciscan priest Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen established the 14th of the 21 Spanish missions in California on June 11, 1797.
Apart from establishing a strong foothold for the Spanish empire in North America, the missionaries' main mission was to convert the local Native American population to Christianity. Built in the Spanish Colonial style, the mission had constructed a huge church and housing for the priests and other mission employees. Some sections were preserved for workshops and housing for the Native American converts. The aim was to create an agricultural and farm animals society that could sustain itself.
More than a thousand Native American converts lived at the mission back then and they were taught about Christianity along with training in agriculture and other trades. The church was renovated and reopened as a parish in the nineteenth century. Since its designation as a National Historic Landmark, Mission San Jose, in today's era, welcomes visitors from all over the world.
6701 San José Drive, San Antonio, Texas, 78214. USA